Friday, February 20, 2004

Delivery day

Got up early so we could drive from Juhani's house to EspoonLahti. It was a rushed job. I thought the delivery van would be there before we arrived. Indeed when we got there a man was already at our door. He was waiting for the truck to arrive. I rushed down to the LippuLaiva shopping centre and tried to buy some strong brown paper to lay down on the floor so there would be less of a mess to clear up from the snow being trawled in off the street.

I went to Soumalainen Kirjakauppa, and they had just the stuff I wanted on a great big roll next to the cash register. The woman behind the desk was looking at some book, and I waited patiently for her to look up so she could serve me.
She kept on reading.
Come on come on the truck will be arriving and I need to get some paper down on the floor.
She sniffed and ignored me
How long can I wait for her to ask if she could be of service to me.
She licks her finger and turns a page on her book
She knows that wet snowy feet are trudging over the floor of our newly waxed parquetrey
Finally she asks if she can help me
I say I want to buy 2o metres of paper off the roll in front of her desk
She smirks and says we don't sell that paper
I wonder if I should ask her if she gives it away for free... instead I just turn on my heel very fast and walk out of the shop. I was not going to give her the satisfaction of turning me down again.

I went to Timmari and with much pulling of the forelock and grovelling I managed to buy a whole roll of paper for 5€ went back to the flat and laid it out on the floor and taped it down. The delivery man arrived and he looked just like Pat... Riina's husband. Close cropped hair with a little blond quiff at the fron just like Jimmy Summerfield. With his mate who was an off duty fireman who was doing a bit of moonlighting they had the truck unloaded in about three hours. Maija was scurrying after them picking up small stones that had come off the soles of their boots. Arrrrrggh the price you have to pay to have a wooden floor.

Maija wants to give our book cases and table and chairs away to Raisa... and there was Ilona thinking that the table and chairs would be handed down to her as an heirloom. I defrosted the fridge freezer and after a search for my tools from among all the stacks of boxes I struggled to put up our bed so we could have a sleep that night. I managed to get the bed put together again but I did not fancy staying in that mess for the night, especially when there might be a warm meal waiting at the Aaltonens. Maija and I argued about whether to stay or go. She wanted to stay I wanted to go. Finally went decided to go and I went to the shopping mall to buy some beer to have with our meal at the Aaltonens.

I bought a 6-pack of Newcastle Brown ale and paid 14€ for them... TEN QUID for 6 bottles of beer, and each bottle having only 33cl... I felt shafted at the checkout, I should have bought a couple of bottles of wine instead.

But now in the end the beer was really good with the herring, and I was happy I had bought them.

No comments: