Sunday, November 21, 2004

Spoon Children


Patrik
Originally uploaded by -=HB=-.
On my birthday I went to the museum of modern art in Helsinki with Raisa. There were many interesting exhibits, and videos. The best experiance at the exhibition was a series of 27 ceramic pots streching diagonally across the room. Each pot had a piece of thick cardboard on top of it an inside was a "Scent from Babylon". Raisa was wondering which scent would make the best perfume. She liked the birch tar for some reason. Strong and earthy no doubt.

For me it was ambergris, which according to the dictionary is a waxy substance containing mainly cholesterol secreted by the intestinal tract of the sperm whale, and often found floating in the sea: used in the manufacture of perfumes. Smelling good is not for everyone. It is reported that Napoleon sent a message to Josephine, "Home in 3 days, don't wash." What a weird small man he was.

There was a series of five photos where people had their faces covered by spoons, and I decided when I get home I am going to do a series with my five children. So I took sepia coloured photos of the cloured originals with a spoon over my face.

My children look haunted having a spoon for a father.

No comments: