Saturday, November 13, 2004

Nothing but the dead and dying...


beauty mark
Originally uploaded by Vanita.
The village I grew up in had 5 coal mines. The most famous one was Knockshinnock, and only because it had a disaster on the 7th of Sept 1950. My uncle Andrew, the one I went fishing with, was walking home over the fields at the end of his shift, when he felt the ground loosen and shudder beneath his feet. Behind him the whole of the field seemed to be disappearing and collapsing into a gigantic hole.

What had happened was the mine workings had come too near the surface and had broken through into a lake of liquid peat, which then poured down into the pit. Thirteen lives were lost.

The pits closed down one by one until there was only one pit left in Aryshire called The Barony, and all the miners went to work there. When it was closed the miners moved away to England and the village died. The schemes with the miners houses are all boarded up. The place is a ghost town, with no jobs for anyone.

This was the village that my father was traped in. For as long as I can remember all of his letters to me were about getting away. When he was younger it was to Australia or New Zealand, and when he was older it was back home to Wick in Caithness. He never went anywhere.

He died in the year 2000. The year he always said he would live to. He was 83 years old. He was buried in the same grave as my mother. I placed his guitar on top of his coffin, kept his mandolin for myself, and gave his accordian away.

At his burial were many people that I did not know. I recited a Scottish version of the 23rd psalm that he loved to recite to me. That was the best I could do. Passing words back to him that he had given to me.

No comments: