Wednesday, June 23, 2004

Saddam



Saddam was a man who ruled Iraq. He spoke and his armies obeyed. He had palaces, he had mansions, he had untold wealth, and riches gained from oil. He smoked fine cigars.

Today Saddam no longer rules. He is in prison. He may speak, he may plead, but who will listen to him. Gone are the palaces, replaced by a prison cell. Even if he had money it would not buy him his freedom. If he is lucky he might get the odd cigarette.

This morning I woke up in my own bed in my own house. Saddam woke up in prison. I had pineapple for breakfast just cause I felt like it. I don't know what Saddam had but I bet he did not have any choice in the matter. I walked out the door and went to work. Saddam remains in his cell and can go nowhere. I will fly to Italy on Friday. Saddam will remain in captivity.

I expect Saddam spends alot of his time wondering how he, who once was so high, has been brought so low. He who once commanded poeple to come and to go, can no longer command anyone or anything. He sits in his cell powerless. He will wait, for others to determine his fate. He is a captive and has no freedom. I wonder if he lives in dispair. Does he rant and rave and demand his release. Does he abuse his guards and threaten and curse them. Does he pass the days away in a sedated coma.

Does he dream of being in the desert and releasing a hawk from his arm, to delight in seeing how it soars freely in the air. Does he long for a night by a campfire, where he can look up and see all the stars in heaven.

On the 30th of June Saddam will be handed over to the Iraqi government and will stand trial as a war criminal

Time rolls on for all of us.

No comments: