Wednesday, March 17, 2004

Grass is the handkerchief droped by the Lord

Went to the Library in Iso Omena yesterday and got myself a library card. Things are more advanced in Finland than in England. You get a library card with a barcode on it. You pop it into a machine and tap in your secret pin number. You then slide the books you have selected over a barcode reader and the books are checked out in your name. A receipt is then printed out telling you when the books are due back. When you return the books you just pop them trough another scanner and place them on a conveyer belt and the disappear into a hole in the wall.

It is a sort of self service library. I picked up some books of Poetry. There was not much to choose from but I did get Walt Whitman's Leaves of Grass, and I was struck by the line

Grass is the handkerchief droped by the Lord

To me I imagined a rolling plain with grass streaching for miles and miles, and vast expanse of green. I thought of the ladies at court, who to draw attention to themselves drop their hankeys hoping that someone will notice it, pick it up and return it to them.

I suppose all of nature should declare the glory of God, when we see it our attention should be drawn to him.

No comments: