Sunday, September 12, 2004

Photo of market man

There was an autumn market on Saturday. I took a picture of "marketman" I took it as he was leaving. He noticed me doing it and was rather angry. I walked away quickly.

Why was he angry, becasue I captured his fatness, becasue he had not shaved, because his T-shirt was dirty, because he was collecting benifits from the government and was not supposed to be working on the side.

I think he was angry about the invasion of his privacy. If he had been Brad Pitt he would have jumped out of the lorry and trashed my head in, but since he was fat and had to move around with a walking stick I could make my get-away with ease.

Taking pictures of buildings, or ducks or blowup giraffes is OK. They do not complain about invasion of privacy. Ferns bask in the sunlight, onions piruette on their braid, reflections and shadows invite themselves to be captured on film. But people are offended. People demand privacy.

On going though the shoping centre I saw a mentally disturbed man eating a do-nut in a demented fashion. I passed on an did not take his picture.

No comments: