Monday, May 23, 2005

Boys in the barrow



Salem an Hassinen take a rest from carrying horse manure to their allotment. It seems that all the Kurdish boys work, and work very hard, digging the ground and improving it. I have loaned my tools to Salem and Behzad since they seem to like the action of the Finnish mattock.

There is definately a different work ethic with the Kurds. They are always busy. It is also strange that children on their own, are more than willing to work. I can not imagine Finnish children or British children spending all of their free time down the allotments. The disco calls. The weekend rave and dancing is all the exercise they get.

Maija made some rhubarb cake and we took it down there and gave some to Salem and Behzad. Salem wolfed it down but Behzad was a bit more cautions, whereas when Rasheed was offer some he took a bite then exclaimed it was tosi hyvä, and with every bite after that said it was tosi hyvä. I left a couple of bits for Ulla and Janne and they said they would have it with their afternoon coffee.

All of my allotment is now planted up mostly with potatoes and onions. Around two of the edges I have planted linen seeds cos they give nice blue flowers and along the third edge I have more "tirp" which I got from Rasheed, which no doubt was payment for the tosi hyvä rhubarb pie. I have two types of beetroot planted, and now that it is in I discover that beetroot does not like too much nitrogen and fresh manure, so that might not go so well. I tried once again Kohlrabi the red variety and panted half a bed of radishes. On the balcony there is gherkins and beans waiting to sprout and once they are up I will transplant them into their alloted space.

I water mornings and evenings and I am eagerly waiting for the first seeds to show their heads.

No comments: