Monday, April 19, 2004

Digging the dirt

Maija went off to Hanko and I decided to try and get an allotment. I had received a letter from Espoo town council saying the plots were up for grabs and if I wanted one I should be in the parking lot behind Ulapatori at 9:00.

When I arrived there was already one man there. He did not look Finnish. He was small and dark and it turned out that he was from Kazakhstan... that is somewhere down by the Caspian Sea and on the borders with Russia and China. He was very friendly. We spoke to each other in Finnish since he did not speak any English.

He has applied for Finnish citizenship and once he has that he is free to move withing he EU and he plans to take his family to the UK. The reason being that it is very difficult to find work in Finland and he feels that there are more job opportunities in the UK. His 13 year old daughter refuses to learn Finnish, but is extremely interested in Learning English because she desperately wants to go to the UK.

The man from the council arrived and by that time there were about 15 people wanting a plot. It was a case of first come first server, and the little man from Kazakhstan got the chance to pick his plot. Some Finns had arrived when the plots were being given out and were digging up Rhubarb from their plot, they were giving it up. Since the plot had lots of berry bushes on it the little man decided he would have it if it was for free. He got it. I was next in line and I choose plot 20 and went to sign the papers, however just as I was about to sign the man from the council said there had been a mistake and I should choose another plot. I chose plot 9 which was near the gate and was overgrown with weeds. It will need alot of work to get it in shape.

But I want it for the exercise and to get a tan from working outside. Potatoes, onions, and lettuce are about all I want to grow. Things I can eat straight way.

There were quite a few people from Kazakhstan who had plots, and I felt a sort of kindred spirit with them. I only hope that they do not need to grow things to eat, that they are so poor that they need to put food on their table. Anyway I look forward to meeting them again and finding out about their lives and customs.

No comments: